Arjuna also known as the “Arjun tree” is a widely grown tree in India.
It has various medicinal properties like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. Arjuna helps reduce the risk of heart diseases. It strengthens and tones the heart muscles and helps in proper functioning of the heart. Arjuna tree also has strong anti-hypertensive property and helps reduce high blood pressure. For maximum benefits in case of heart problems.
Arjuna also helps control diarrhea, asthma and cough. External application of Arjuna bark (Arjuna chaal) helps manage various skin disorders like eczema, psoriasis, itching and rashes[2-5]. One note of caution is to avoid Arjuna with anticoagulant drugs as it has blood thinning property.
1. Heart disease: Early research shows that taking Terminalia by mouth might improve cholesterol levels in in people with heart disease.
2. Diabetes: Some research shows that taking Terminalia with other ingredients lowers pre-meal blood sugar levels in women with diabetes. But it does not seem to improve HbA1c, which is a measure of average blood sugar.
3. Heart failure: The role of Terminalia in the treatment of heart failure is inconsistent and unclear. Early research in people with severe heart failure shows that taking Terminalia by mouth for 2 weeks along with heart failure drugs improves symptoms compared to taking heart failure drugs alone. But conflicting research shows that taking Terminalia along with heart failure drugs doesn’t improve symptoms in people with mild to moderate heart failure. Larger-scale, longer-term studies are needed to determine the role of Terminalia, if any, in the treatment of heart failure.
4. High levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia): Some research shows that taking Terminalia with other ingredients lowers LDL (or “bad”) cholesterol levels and increases HDL (or “good”) cholesterol levels in women with diabetes.
5. Osteoarthritis: Research shows that taking Terminalia along with turmeric and boswellia reduces pain and stiffness in people with osteoarthritis. But it isn’t known if these effects are due to Terminalia or the other constituents.
6. Chest pain (angina): Some research shows that taking Terminalia by mouth with conventional medications improves symptoms in people experiencing chest pain after a heart attack. Other research shows that taking Terminalia by mouth improves symptoms and reduces the need for chest pain medication in people with long-term chest pain.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of Terminalia for these uses.