Looking after your feet (foot care) and treating common foot problems – such as corns, calluses, bunions and ingrown toenails – can help to prevent problems that make you unsteady on your feet and at risk of a fall. Wearing footwear that’s safe, appropriate and in good repair can also help to prevent falls.
Good foot care has benefits such as: reducing pain. increasing mobility and physical activity. increasing self-esteem and confidence.
- Rest your foot.
- Do heel and foot muscle stretches.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Use cold packs or ice on your heel and the bottom of your foot.
- Wear shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole.
- Wear a cutout heel pad.
- Use a custom-made insert (called an orthotic) worn in the shoe.